Municipal Court


As of July 1, 2019 Southampton Municipal Court has merged with Mansfield Court
As of April 21, 2012 Springfield Municipal Court has merged with Mansfield Court

Hours: Monday – Friday
9:00am – 4:00pm
Phone: 609-298-0542 ext #1022
Fax: 609-298-3926


Judge – R. Douglas Hoffman
Court Administrator – Suzanne Morales
Deputy Court Administrator – Vacant
Violations Clerk – Cheryl Hartman 

Violations Clerk – Dawn Toomer-Clayton

3135 Route 206 South,
Suite 2
Columbus, NJ 08022

Pay Traffic Tickets Online


Alternate Court Payment Information

Prosecutor – George Morris, Esq.
Public Defender – Jim Fattorini, Esq.

About the Court 
Directions to Court
Court Policies
About Your Traffic Summons
About Your Court Appearance
Frequently Asked Questions
Customer Service Questionnaire

About the Court

The Municipal Court is a local court created by State Law, whose territory is confined to the city or community in which it is located. Practice and procedures are governed by New Jersey Court Rules.

We are an independent branch of government constitutionally entrusted with the fair and just resolution of disputes in order to preserve the rule of law and to protect the rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and Laws of the United States and the State.

Required to accomplish our mission are four paramount values representing what we stand for:Seal

  • Independence
  • Integrity
  • Fairness
  • Quality Service

The Mansfield Municipal Court pledges to judiciously uphold the Core Values of the New Jersey Courts by delivering professional, effective and courteous service. We will consistently aspire to achieve the highest standard of integrity and excellence in quality customer service, thereby achieving public trust and confidence
Back to Top

New Jersey Turnpike
Exit 7 (BORDENTOWN) Continue south on Route 206 approx 4 miles. Look for Gulf Gas Station on left – municipial building is directly across – Make right turn into complex.

From 295
Columbus exit is 52A. Take exit ramp and follow road straight approx 3 miles to the third traffic light (Atlantic Avenue). Turn left and go approx 100 ft. and yield onto Route 206 North. Get immediately into the left lane and prepare to make a left hand turn, crossing over the southbound lane of Rt. 206 into the municipal complex (located across from the Gulf Gas Stataion)

From Route 130 North
Coming into the Burlington area, look for the intersection of Columbus Road and Rt. 130. Lucas Ford Card Dealership will be on far north corner- make a right at that light and follow Columbus Road approx 7 miles to traffic light. Turn right. Continue approx 2 miles to next traffic light. Turn right onto Atlantic Ave. Go approx 100 ft and and yield onto Route 206 North. Get immediately into left lane and prepare to turn left across southbound lane of 206 into the municipal complex (located across from the Gulf Gas Station).
Back To Top

Court Policies

While the court staff will endeavor to assist you with any questions or concerns, please be advised that there are limitations of what we can and cannot do.

We Can:

  • Explain and answer questions about how the court works.
  • Give you some information from your case file.
  • Tell you what the requirements are to have your case considered by the court.
  • Provide you with guidance on how to fill out forms.
  • Usually answer questions about court deadlines.


  • We cannot give legal advice. Only your lawyer can give you legal advice.
  • We cannot tell you whether or not you should bring your case to court.
  • We cannot recommend a lawyer.
  • We cannot talk to the judge about your case.
  • We cannot let you talk to the judge outside of court.
  • We cannot change an order issued by a judge.
  • We cannot give you information regarding points issued by Motor Vehicles.

En Espanol
Back To Top

About Your Traffic Summons

If you have received a traffic summons, there are a few things that are necessary to do in order to take the first step in satisfying the summons.

If your ticket number located on the top front of the ticket has a prefix of “SP, please wait at least 7 working days before calling the court to inquire the amount due or schedule a court date. It takes approximately one week for the court to receive a ticket that has been issued by the State Police.

When calling to inquire the amount due or enter a plea of not guilty, please have your ticket number available.

Please read the back of the ticket. Printed in red is the website to pay a ticket online at —

This is a fast, secure and convenient way to access your traffic ticket(s) information. Have your ticket with you when paying online, as you will need certain information taken from the ticket to access the payment screen.

If you wish to plead not guilty and come to court, you must call the court prior to the date on the front of the ticket. Unless the box in front of that date is checked, this is only your pay date. We will be happy to assist you in scheduling a court date.

If you plan to have an attorney represent you, the court must be notified by letter from the attorney as soon as possible.

The Lawyer Referral Service of the Burlington County Bar Association can assist you in obtaining the name(s) of licensed attorney(s):

The municipal court is not responsible for accessing points to your license.

You must contact the Motor Vehicle Commission in the state in which you have a license.
New Jersey licenses
Back To Top

About Your Court Appearance

If you have called the court to enter a plea of not guilty, you will be given a verbal court date to appear while on the phone and a notice confirming that date will be mailed the following work day. A postponement request will not be granted the week prior to the court date unless written proof of a valid reason is submitted.

A court appearance is required for all criminal complaints, complaints filed by a private citizen and complaints filed by local municipal code enforcement officers.

If you appear in court and plead guilty or are found guilty, the Judge is not bound by the State Violation Bureau Schedule of Fines. The fines could be more or less than the listed payable amount, at the discretion of the Judge.

Upon entering the municipal building, the following procedures follow:

  • Check in is required in the Courtroom.
  • Prior to entering the courtroom, each person shall be required to walk through a metal detector.
  • NO backpacks, briefcases, large purses or any other containers will be permitted in the courtroom.
  • Any person who leaves the courtroom for any purpose must again submit to security screening.
  • The above security measures are in place per NJ Supreme Court Directive #15-06.
  • NO food or drink is permitted in the courtroom.

The Prosecutor will call your name and speak with you either before court begins or during court. Please be patient!
*The services of an interpreter are available upon request.
Back to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

What are my rights as a defendant in municipal court?

  1. You are PRESUMED TO BE INNOCENT until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
  2. You have the RIGHT TO BE INFORMED OF THE CHARGES against you.
  3. You have the RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT concerning the charges against you, and anything you say may be held against you.
  5. You have the RIGHT TO BE ASSIGNED AN ATTORNEY if the Judge determines that you cannot afford an attorney if the penalty upon conviction involves jail, a substantial fine, and/or license suspension.
  6. You have the RIGHT TO REQUEST A REASONABLE POSTPONEMENT so that you may have an opportunity to consult with an attorney and prepare a proper defense.
  7. You have the RIGHT TO TESTIFY OR NOT TO TESTIFY on your own behalf.
  8. You have the RIGHT TO CALL OR SUBPOENA WITNESSES to testify on your behalf.
  9. You have the RIGHT TO APPEAL within 20 days of a conviction.

How much is my fine if I do not wish to appear in court?
Fine amounts are listed in the Statewide Violations Bureau Schedule of Payable Fines. Access online at NJCOURTSONLINE.COM. This schedule is also available for review at the municipal court office during working hours, or you may also phone the court for your fine amount.

How many points is my ticket?
The municipal court is not responsible for accessing points to your license. Please contact the motor vehicle agency in the state your license is issued to inquire about points.
New Jersey licenses:

When can I speak with the Prosecutor?
The Prosecutor speaks with defendants both before court begins and at times during court. He will call your name and only at that time will you be permitted to speak with the Prosecutor. Please be patient!

What is a plea agreement?
A plea agreement is reached in court after speaking with the Prosecutor may agree to amend the original offense to a lesser offense in exchange for a guilty plea. The Prosecutor has the discretion to also decline to offer a plea agreement. The plea agreement must be approved by the Judge.

What happens if I don’t agree with the outcome of my case?
You have 20 calendar days to file your appeal after your conviction in court. You may ask for the appeal packet at the court window or you may download the packet MUNICIPAL COURT APPEAL PACKET. You will be required to pay a deposit that will be applied toward the cost of preparing a transcript of the hearing. Also required is a $75 filing fee.

No new testimony is taken. The Superior Court Judge makes his ruling based on the transcript produced from the municipal court hearing.

How do I qualify for a court appointed attorney?
In order to qualify for the Public Defender, you must first meet certain eligibility criteria regarding current employment, salary, income and assets and debts. The Judge then refers to the statewide eligibility guidelines to determine if you would qualify. You may complete the necessary form in court or download the Financial Questionnaire to Establish Indigency Form and bring the completed form to court. Only the Judge can approve the Public Defender. A fee of up to $200 may be imposed.

How can I set up a time payment for a ticket?

A time payment is only granted in court with the Judge’s approval after reviewing the completed Financial Questionnaire to Establish Indigency form.

What if I want to plead not guilty but can’t afford to appear in court?
Under certain circumstances where it would be a hardship for you to appear in court, or if you are an out of state resident, you may be eligible to enter your plea by mail.

Please contact the court to inquire if your charge is eligible for plea by mail.